Ontario announced revised plans on June 1st for the widening of the Queensway ( Hwy 417 ) in Ottawa.
The new plan will see the widening of Ottawa’s main artery and will involve construction at various locations from the 416 interchange in the west end to the Anderson Road exit in the east end.
More than 70 bridges will be re-constructed or modified and at least 5 of the major ramps would be modified enough that land and houses are beign expropriated for the cause. The time table is not set but is expected to take around 10 years and cost in the neighbourhood of $150 million. Public consultations are being scheduled for June 20 to the 22nd.
You can see more details at the Governement of Ontario website at http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/engineering/417ea/.
The most significant changes are planned for the Bronson ramps, the Island Park Ramps which will cut into Hamptom Park, the Parkdale Ramps up to 18 houses will be demolished.
Other key features include:
- Widening the Queensway to eight lanes from the 416 to Carling Avenue
- REtaining the current six lanes from Carling to Metcalfe Street, but with major ramp modifications
- Widening the Queensway to eight lanes from Metcalfe to Highway 174 at the split from Highway 417
- Widening the section from Highway 174 to Anderson Road, east of Walkley Road at Highway 417
- Widening the bridge at Maitland Avenue.
- Keeping the Lyon Street on-ramp open to traffic only in the evening peak hours.
The new plan reflects changes made after the original plan was widely criticized. After a further public discussion this month, a final proposal is to be submitted to the Ministry of Environment to ensure it meets all of the environmental requirements.
As mentioned further details can be seen at the following provincial website at http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/engineering/417ea/ as well as some more info at Councillor Diane Holmes’ site at http://www.dianeholmes.ca/transportation_issues_detail.php?id=9 and on the Ottawa East website at http://www.ottawaeast.ca/QW.html.
To see the Queensway traffic cams click on the following link – http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/traveller/compass/camera/ottawa/camhome.htm