Declutter the garage in five easy steps
After living in a home for a number of years, chances are your garage has accumulated some clutter. A home’s garage can be a key selling feature, it is important to keep it functional, organized and appealing. You may want to organize things but don’t know where to start.
Follow these five steps to a clutter-free garage:
- Set aside a time to tackle the job and be sure to enlist some help. Many hands make light work, as the saying goes. Designate a specific date and time to get everyone started.
- Create space on the driveway or within the garage itself for four categories: Items you will donate; those you will sell; treasures to keep; and, items you will toss.
- Methodically decide what to keep. Consider when you last used the item and the likelihood that you will need it later. For any broken things, ask what the chances are of getting around to fixing it.
- Dispose of items and hazardous materials correctly. Check with your municipality for solid-and hazardous-waste disposal programs.
- If you have exciting new plans for your garage space, you may need to create temporary storage for those items you choose to keep. Consider moving items into the space usually occupied by the car, or perhaps some items can be temporarily moved indoors. Renting a driveway storage container is another option and may buy you the time you need to create your dream garage.
More than simply a place to park the car, a garage can be transformed into many things for many people. Declutter and let your imagination take it from there.
(from Royal LePage Homeowner newsletter)
Check out more articles in the with similar categories – Article